Pipe marking according to ISO 20560-1 standard
Installing pipe line marking with clear and universally recognisable formats is essential to global and local safety and maintenance.
The key points
An Industry Standard pipe marker consists of 4 basic elements:
1. Basic identification colour
2. Name of the substance/content
3. Flow direction indicators (arrows)
4. Warning symbols, GHS symbols (or both)
|Gas (liquid or gaseous)||Fire fighting medium|
|Liquids & solids (powder/granulate)||Water|
A significant benefit of the ISO 20560-1 standard is the establishment of basic identification colours, the colour coding will be used worldwide. This is essential for both industry and emergency services
Pipes up to 150mm
Pipes from 150mm ~ 500mm
Pipes from 500mm
Other guidelines and rules
There are a few additional guidelines that determine the layout, positioning and visibility of a pipe marker.
• The minimum letter height is 7mm and symbols must be at least 20mm high
• The minimum height of the flow indicator (arrow) is 10mm
• Pipes that are visible on two sides require (pipe) markings on both sides
• Pipe markings should be placed at key locations such as junctions, valve breaks and branch points, on both sides of walls and other zone boundaries and at the beginning and end of pipe racks etc.
More details can be found on the official ISO 20560-1 website: https://www.iso.org/standard/71570.html
Print your own pipe marking or order ready-made?
The ideal pipe marking printer
To make printing pipe markers as easy as possible, we have developed an exclusive Pipe Marker application that allows you to effortlessly print pipe markers that are fully compliant with ISO 20560-1:2020 standards.
Rebo’s unique pipe ID print application
With the exclusive Pipe Marking application for the SMS-R1, producing your pipe identification is now even easier!
Print your pipe line identification completely according to ISO 20560-1 standards.
• Print the 3 standard sizes
• Manage the substance database
• Flexible flow indicators
• Determine the style of symbols and flow indication arrows
• Add additional text(s) as desired
• Print up to over 10 meters in a single process
Download the free demo version!
Don’t have an SMS-R1 yet but want to try the software without any obligations? Download the demo with almost full functionality.
Edit, delete or add substances
Decide the flow direction, stijl and size
Clear print previews
Choose from 12 languages
Try it out without time limit
The demo is suitable for Windows and requires installation of these components:
• NiceLabel PowerForms (versie 2019.3 or higher)
• SMS-R1 printer driver (versie 18e or higher)
• Microsoft Access Runtime (versie 2013 32bit or higher)
Print standard pipe markers
Continuous tapes are available in various colours and in standard widths of 15mm, 30mm, 60mm and 100mm and are cut to the required length by the printer.
For printing pipe markings in a single colour, we recommend an SMS-430 label printer or a portable TORO label printer.
Desktop and Portable printers for easy pipe marking
- Print up to 104mm wide
- 300 DPI print resolution
- Automatic cutter
- USB & LAN connection
- Print up to 101mm wide
- 300 DPI print resolution
- Portable & IT independent
- USB-A & USB-B connection
Order ready-made pipe markers
Pipe marking tape on a roll
Our pre-printed rolls are laminated against UV rays and chemical influences and are self-cleaning, flexible and water-repellent.
Do you need help with your project? Our advisors are ready for you!
The arrows tape comes in rolls and is available in various colors and sizes.
Are you curious about the possibilities? Feel free to ask us what we can do for you.